"Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors,
and let each new year find you a better man."
There's nothing like starting a New Year and feeling like you're opening the first page of a blank journal, pages waiting to be sketched upon. Or a whole calendar full of months and days to fill with hopes, and dreams, and accomplishments.
I've said before that I don't make resolutions any more. To me, resolving to do something on the first day of the year (like doing something cold turkey) feels like I'm setting myself up for failure. Setting reasonable goals makes me feel as if I am working towards accomplishments, while at the same time leaving a small margin of error.
I didn't share any personal goals last year, but I did share a few House Goals for 2011, which I'll give myself a C- for...and that's being fairly generous. I'll share my House Goals for 2012 later this week, but I wanted to share some of my personal goals today...in hopes that some of you can keep me honest. Maybe we can stay on track via my Facebook page?
Without further ado....
Family and Home Life:
- Master the Art of Couponing- This continues to elude me, despite reading and signing up for various online sites. I think I need some hands-on instruction. This may require a call to my sister-in-law. SuSu is a coupon queen...maybe she will gracefully bestow her knowledge upon me!
- Work on Meal Planning- as in, regularly...not "I'll plan to take the girls to Chick-fil-a tonight since T is working late." Cook more at home. Try new recipes! Would love to know if you have any recommendations for online meal planning resources.
- Plan More Dates- Notice I did not say "go out on more dates." I think that T and I could find plenty of things to do together as a couple that don't involve going out and spending fistfuls of cash. Movie nights, collaborating on DIY jobs, and finding a hobby we can both enjoy together. (This rules out shopping for shoes or hunting)
- Read more things that are not on Pinterest- I have a whole trunk full of books in the family room just begging to be read. I'll have to do a post on my Winter Reading List soon. The lure of winter TV is strong, but that's why God lets us have DVR, right??
I could add all sorts of extras here about learning to use various sewing techniques, running 2 miles a day, etc...but I'll leave the personal goals at this for now....
- Take my Nikon off Auto Mode- I've been meaning to read my Nikon for Dummies book for a full year, but just haven't gotten around to it. I think I'm afraid I might get a paper cut or break my camera or something. If you read the goal listed before this one, you know it's a must on my list.
- Make the most of the Haven Conference in June- This will be my first time attending a blog conference, and I am scared out of my wits! I want to learn as much as possible, meet some wonderful people, make some new friends, and do some networking.
- Grow my blog- Let social media work for me without becoming a time suck. Use HootSuite for quick updates. Share great content that readers will want to return for. Find new ways to partner with other bloggers and companies.
- Keep it in perspective- This blog is not life, and (newsflash!) neither is yours. At the end of the day, does it matter if you have 5000 Followers or 500? No. Blogging shouldn't happen at the expense of our families. I want to continue earning some spending money and making connections, but it's not worth anything if my family suffers because of it. Schedule more Features and Guest Posts to make family time a priority.
What about you? Do you make New Year's Resolutions or Goals? Care to share any of them?
*Be sure to check out Michaela Noelle Designs today! She's sharing some 2012 Goals from various bloggers and yours truly is one of them!*