I wanted to keep costs down for this craft. I spotted the cabinet door base at the local ReStore for just $2.00!
In addition to a board, cabinet door, or similar flat surface, here's what you'll need to try this at home:
-Sparkle Mod Podge
-"Original" Matte Mod Podge (not pictured)
-Wrapping paper or scrapbook paper for base
-Scrapbook paper for your silhouette shape
-Foam brush or Mod Podge applicators
(I used a 4 inch brush applicator, the "professional tool set," and a roller top with a 2 oz. bottle)
-3D foam adhesive mounts
-Paper plate and plastic knife or popsicle stick for stirring
How to Make a Sparkle Sign:
1. If you're using a cabinet door like me, remove any hardware.
2. Sand your base. I didn't go all the way down to the grain...just enough to rough it up a bit.
3. Spray paint. I used a dual paint and primer spray paint that dried quickly. Two coats.
4. Measure and cut a piece of paper to fit in the center of your sign. I used printed wrapping paper from Target's Dollar Spot.
6. Cover the entire area generously.
7. Apply more Mod Podge to the back of your paper and carefully press onto the flat surface.
8. Use the brayer to smooth out any wrinkles or bubbles. (This was hard to do with thin wrapping paper)
9. Let the Mod Podged area dry for 15 to 20 minutes.
10. Use a popsicle stick or plastic knife to stir your Sparkle Mod Podge and pour it onto a paper plate or into a roller top bottle.
11. Use a foam brush or roller top bottle to spread the sparkle MP on top of the paper. Let dry completely.
12. I had planned to use my Silhouette machine to cut a cat silhouette, but had to hand cut them because my mat wasn't sticky enough. I cut one smaller than the other and layered them.
13. I used the adhesive 3D mounts to stick my cat silhouette to the Mod Podged surface.
14. I loved how the mounts gave the piece some depth, so I hand cut some Halloweeny stars and used the mounts for those too.
I chose to keep the knob on my cabinet door, and I used it to hang some wooden "BOO" letters from Target's Dollar Spot with some sparkle ribbon:
My Sparkle Sign has a new home next to my TV armoire, which is all decked out for Halloween. I'll show you the whole view later on, but here's another shot of the sign for today.
Love my Mod Podge!
Have you done any Halloween crafting lately?
Linking to Positively Splendid, Home Stories A to Z, Thrifty Decor Chick
Disclosure: I wrote this post as part of a paid campaign with Mod Podge and Blueprint Social. The opinions in this post are my own.
Find Plaid Crafts online at:
Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest