Hello Kitty themed birthday party. I actually had planned to buy some, but the toppers at the local party store didn't match the color scheme I had going on, so I whipped these guys up in about thirty minutes:
Here's what you need to make your own:
A sheet of "printables" to match your party theme
Colored or patterned paper. Two sheets of 12 x 12 was plenty for around 20 toppers.
Something round to trace (or a craft punch)
Marker or Sharpie
1. Design and print your own cupcake topper printable to coordinate with your party theme.
-You can use MS Word or MS Publisher. I prefer Publisher because I think it's easier to manipulate images. (This was as easy as grabbing an image from Google, and resizing/cropping and adding a circle around it in Publisher. Then you just replicate the shape until you have a page full!)
2. Trace a bunch of circles on your colored or patterned paper or use a craft punch. (I have a beautiful scalloped circle punch, but realized too late it was too small for the prints I made)
3. Cut out your circles and your topper prints.
4. Glue your print down in the center of one of your colored paper circles.
5. (Optional) Add decorative dots or pattern around the edge of the circle for interest.
6. Tape a toothpick to the back of a blank colored circle.
7. Make a "sandwich" with the Hello Kitty circle and the blank circle by keeping the toothpick on the inside when you glue them together.
Your completed cupcake topper will look like this:
They pucker up a little bit because of the glue, but it was very easy to straighten them out. I made a little assembly line, and before I knew it, I had enough toppers for Michaela Byrd's cupcakes!
These are so easy to do...not as easy as purchasing some, but I love that you can craft them to fit your party's theme or color scheme!
Linking to Positively Splendid, Tatertots and Jello, Home Stories A to Z, Today's Creative Blog
2 hours ago