Disclaimer: This is about as far from healthy as you can get! I cook this meal on a very limited basis...usually only when T begs. But it is a real crowd pleaser---even my very picky three year old enjoys this meal.
Chicken and Biscuits Casserole:
- 1 Can (10 3/4 oz) Condensed Cream of Celery Soup (Fat Free is ok)
- 1 Can (10 3/4 oz) Condensed Cream of Potato Soup
- 1 cup of Milk (I used whole because that's what my girls drink, but I'm sure skim is fine too)
- 4 cups cooked, cut-up vegetables
- 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken
- 1 package refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (Grand's are good, but the WM brand was what I had)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
I just microwaved the frozen chicken breasts and cut them into small pieces...no time for perfect cube shapes! In a baking dish, mix soups, milk, vegetables, and chicken. (I add my own herbs and spices: pepper, thyme, Nature's Seasoning, etc.) Add vegetables and chicken to the mix. I use frozen vegetables and do not cook them before I add them to the dish. (They seem too mushy otherwise!) T loves corn so I add that too.
Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until hot. Stir. Arrange unbaked biscuits over the mixture and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until biscuits are golden.
I modified this recipe from Campbell's Classic Recipes, which was a wedding gift from my grandmother. This was the first dish I cooked for T after we were married!
I like to cook, and I like to try healthy recipes, but sometimes there's just nothing like a hot casserole on a cold Fall night...maybe one of these days it will be chilly enough to make some more comfort food!
Does your family have a favorite meal?
Linking to Home Stories A to Z, Balancing Beauty and Bedlam