*******************First off I wanted to say a big thank you to Amanda for having me on Serenity Now today! I am so excited to be here and want to send a big CONGRATS to Amanda and her lovely family on their new addition! Exciting times over there! Secondly, I want to introduce myself - I’m Allyson from Domestic Superhero! Domestic Superhero is a place where I share recipes, cooking tips, home tips, DIY projects, crafts, family stuff, and much more! There’s a little bit of everything for everyone! I am blogging from the burbs of Atlanta where I reside with my lovely husband and spunky toddler.
Okay, lets get on with the good stuff! Today I am sharing a delicious recipe with y’all!
Skinny Mexican Stuffed Peppers make the perfect weeknight meal. They are pretty quick, don’t make too many messy dishes, and everyone will love them! You can tailor the recipe to how many people you will have eating, and serve them alongside a nice salad or some quinoa. They pack a punch of flavor, but could also be topped with your favorite salsa, hot sauce, or a bit of sour cream (or greek yogurt!). Yum!
Skinny Mexican Stuffed Peppers-
Serves 6 (1 pepper half)
For the filling:
- 1/2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cups frozen corn
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 TBS onion, chopped
- 2 TBS cilantro, chopped + some for garnish
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- 3 red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 9 TBS reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 TBS scallions, chopped for garnish
1. In a large skillet brown the turkey and season with salt. Next add the onion, garlic, black beans, cilantro, jalapeno, diced tomatoes, and cumin. Mix well and simmer on low for 20 minutes while covered.
2. Add the corn and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until all the liquid reduces.
3. Preheat oven to 350°.
4. Cut peppers in half lengthwise, removing seeds and stem. Place peppers, open side up in a baking dish. Fill each pepper with 1/2 cup turkey mixture. Pour about 1/3 cup water or chicken broth on the bottom of the dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake 45-50 minutes, or until the peppers become soft.
5. Remove foil, top each with 1.5 TBS of cheese and bake uncovered for 5 more minutes. Top with scallions. Serve salsa, hot sauce, and sour cream on the side if desired.
*Approx. 160 calories per serving
I hope y’all love this recipe and come visit me over at Domestic Superhero! Thanks again for having me, Amanda!
Delish? I think so! Thanks so much for sharing with us, Allyson.
If you enjoyed this post or found it helpful, I hope you'll click your "Pin It" button to add this post to Pinterest, or a +1 for Google+. And I always appreciate kind comments.